[Ipopt] Ipopt Stochasticity

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 13 14:12:14 EDT 2013

Non-repeatability is usually due to parallel BLAS, or occasionally a memory allocation bug (several of which may have been fixed since 3.9.1).

For Anil, does this still happen if you set the linear_solver option to ‘mumps’? On Mac, I think my most recent mex files were using the Apple vecLib BLAS libraries, which I believe are parallel and based on MKL. There might be a way to force vecLib to run single-threaded, but I’m not sure how. You could also build mex files using the netlib BLAS (I think I have a few of those around, though IIRC your problems would occasionally run into exception-handling issues on Mac with those mex files).

For Jochen, what version of BLAS were you using? How are you calling Ipopt, through which interface or via a standalone application, etc?

Try setting output_file and a high value for file_print_level to see exactly where two runs start diverging, and verify that all the initial data is exactly the same like you think it should be.

-Tony