[Symphony] Symphony + PVM - multiple slave nodes possible?

Tim Graham tsg7 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 28 19:39:40 EDT 2009

Hi Ted,

I am running this on Amazon EC2.  I have 3 machines: 1 master and two
slaves.  I add the slaves by running:

pvm> add <hostname>

After that is finished I get the following configuration:

pvm> conf
conf
3 hosts, 1 data format
                    HOST     DTID     ARCH   SPEED       DSIG
  domU-12-31-39-00-E1-73    40000    LINUX    1000 0x00408841
ec2-67-202-7-241.compute-1.amazonaws.com   100000    LINUX    1000 0x00408841
ec2-174-129-120-69.compute-1.amazonaws.com   140000    LINUX    1000 0x00408841

I then invoke

./symphony_m_tm_cp -F ~/model.mod -D ~/data.dat

and eventually get the following output:

[t100002] BEGIN
done: 2 left: 1 ub: ?? lb: 160590.93 time: 6
done: 3 left: 2 ub: ?? lb: 160590.93 time: 11
[...]

Using top, I see ~35% CPU usage on the first pvm host and 0% on the second.

If I reverse the order of the hosts by deleting the first and
re-adding it, I get the reverse result in terms of CPU usage so both
hosts are definitely setup properly.

I haven't tried any of the the test applications.

Thanks for your help,
Tim