[Coin-osi-devel] OSI testing

Matthew Saltzman mjs at exchange.clemson.edu
Wed Jan 2 12:10:34 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 08:53 -0800, Lou Hafer wrote:
> Matt,
>
> 	A Happy New Year to you!

And to you!

> 	On a regular basis, I find myself wishing for a command line parameter
> or two to control the set of OSIs actually tested in the OSI unitTest.  How
> about something like this:
>
>   --test-solvers "space separated list of OSIs"
>   --exclude-solvers "space separated list of OSIs"
>
> Use whichever is most convenient.  I'm pretty sure the necessary hooks in the
> code are already present. This would be a run-time exclusion, but often that's
> all I want (just to limit the output to the OSI of interest).

I like the idea, but I think the names might be confusing, as we are
talking about options that apply only to unit tests, and at that, only
to OSI.

How about

  --include-solver-unit-tests "..."
  --exclude-solver-unit-tests "..."

> 	This implies doing a bit of cleanup for command option processing when
> the unit test fires up, but that's a worthy project in its own right.  It would
> clear the way to provide better control over the set of tests performed for each
> OSI.  COIN_SKIP_PROJECTS would still be the fall-back if a solver needs to be
> excluded due to compilation problems.

So the default if neither directive is given would be unit tests for all
solvers built (i.e., none listed in COIN_SKIP_PROJECTS).  The include
directive would result in tests only for solvers that are built and
listed in the directive.  The exclude directive would result in tests
only for solvers that are built and not listed.

I think that would be a useful addition.

		Matt

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences