[Coin-osi-devel] error handling convention?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Feb 6 22:20:29 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Lou Hafer wrote:

> Folks,
>
> 	Another issue arises almost immediately:  What should OSI do when
> confronted with a problem.  Specifically, when passed an out-of-range row or
> column index, what should happen?  At a fast glance, there's no precedent in
> OsiSolverInterface.cpp, but I could easily be missing something.  Was this
> hashed out in the original design of OSI?
>
> 	Our current configuration setup provides a handy symbol
> (COIN_OSI_CHECKLEVEL) that we can use to guard this sort of sanity check, if we
> want it.
>
> 	Quiet failure is the standard unix approach  :-).

I'd like to hear from one of the really original OSI designers (from even
before I started) before I try to comment.

You might look at one or two of the OsiXxx classes.  I think most of the
methods in OsiSolverInterface where that would come up are pure virtual.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu