[Os-project-managers] optional doubles with no default values

Jun Ma majxuh at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 00:25:53 EST 2011

I read this thread of emails [ optional doubles with no default values]
In principle:
1. NaN is a number which is different than all other number. Of course, any
one number is different from others
2. Think of NaN as the quotient of 1/0.
3. In Java and most programming languages, NaN is a double, which is usually
considered as equivalent of a number.
4. NaN as a default value is of course different from no value. No
interpretation is to be made on "no value"
5. Usually in any implementation, no value means null.
But since null is for objects, for primitive types like int and double in
Java, which cannot be null, it's than up to the particular implementation to
be designate  a specific value which will never be used or different from
all practical values.

Of course, the optimization services elements can overwrite the rules by
either schema technology or English annotation, such as we use for most of
the sparse technologies, where we mean 0 if an element is not .

Given the above principles, with no OS-specific interpretations for maxTime:
<maxTime/> should mean not specified!

Jun