[Os-project-managers] optional doubles with no default values

Jun Ma majxuh at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 00:36:11 EST 2011

> <initialVariableValues numberOfVar="1">
>     <var idx="1" value="NaN">
> </initialVariableValues>

For me means that all other initial variable values are not specified, as
the schema doesn't specify a default, except for var[1], which is equal to
NaN.
That being said, in the implementation, we can use NaN for "not specified",
because in practice it makes no different, although, per last email, you can
in theory argue  NaN is different from no value.
Again no value is usually best matched with null in an implementing
language. But for primitive types like double, where null is not technically
feasible in Java, NaN is ok in my opinion as a synonym for no value.

Jun