[Ipopt] Examples of IPOPT without Hessian Matrix

Seth Watts watts2 at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 17 09:23:17 EDT 2020

Hi Ramesh -

Yes, Ipopt will run in quasi-Newton mode by approximating the Hessian. Set
the option "hessian_approximation" to "limited-memory". Now instead of
calling eval_h, Ipopt will approximate the Hessian using the gradient
information from a limited number of previous iterations. I believe the
approximation is the BFGS method but I may be wrong. Note also that you can
set the number of previous iterations used by setting a value for the
option "limited_memory_max_history".

- Seth