[Ipopt] how to get around an over-determined equality constrained NLP formulation

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 5 08:22:09 EST 2013

Hi,

the fixed_variable_treatment only decides how to treat variables that
are fixed via its bounds. If you have equations that fix variables, it
would be better if you could reformulate them as fixing of variables.

As far as I know, there is no well tested algorithm in Ipopt to deal
with overdetermined systems of equations. You could try the
dependency_detector options. They try to detect a set of equations that
are dependent and remove them from the problem before passing it to
Ipopt. Maybe you are lucky and it works for you.

I cannot comment on the Matlab interface.

Stefan