[Ipopt] how to get around an over-determined equality constrained NLP formulation

Ian Washington washinid at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 1 15:45:10 EST 2013

Hello IPOPT community,

I am trying to pose an NLP where the number of equality constraints is
greater than the number of decision variables (i.e., an over-determined
system) and the solver immediately exits with a
Not_Enough_degrees_Of_Freedom error.  Basically there are some equality
constraints that fix some of the variables.

Clearly my problem is formulation related and I could reformulate the
equality constraints to two inequality constraints using a small
tolerance, but I rather not if possible.

Note, I'm using the matlab interface to ipopt and directly specifying
all constraints/sparsity pattern, but I'm using the limited-memory
Hessian approximation.

My first question: does the matlab interface expose all possible ipopt
solver options to the user ? (I assume so, since I didn't receive any
errors)

Second, I tried to change the fixed_variable_treatment to relax_bounds
but it didn't seem to help. I thought this would at least prevent the
Not_Enough_degrees_Of_Freedom error flag from occurring.

Note, I've tried this problematic formulation using knitro and the
solver proceeds with only a warning stating that there are more equality
constraints than variables. Also, snopt handles the problem with no issues.

Does anyone have any ideas to get around this problem.

Thanks,
Ian.