[Ipopt] Full Object Oriented Python wrapper of Ipopt?

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Oct 27 10:57:02 EDT 2010

Hi Herb,

It is cool to hear that someone at NASA is looking at Ipopt! :-)

I do not know the details of the pyipopt interface, since I'm not a python
user.  However, if there is only one feature missing (e.g., access to the
intermediate_callback method), you might want to contact the developer of
the pyipopt package and see if (s)he can help you to add this feature (or
even add this feature him/herself), to save yourself some work.

Nevertheless, it would certainly be great if we could add a python
interface to the Ipopt distribution.  What it would require (apart from
actually writing the code :-) ) is that you are willing to maintain the
interface and answer to questions on the mailing list regarding this
interface, and that you can contribute the code under the Common Public
License (after checking with your employer).  Sometimes, one also has to
be careful when using other third party code and it might not be possible
to distribute your code under different licenses (for example, SWIG seems
to be available under the GPL which is not compatible with the CPL).
Once you have the interface written and tested, I should contact me
directly and we can discuss the details.  (I hope this paragraph does not
sound discouraging, but I'd rather raise these potential issues
immediately.)

Thanks, and best regards,

Andreas