[Ipopt] Full Object Oriented Python wrapper of Ipopt?

Herb Schilling hschilling at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 27 13:04:59 EDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

On Oct 27, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Andreas Waechter wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> It is cool to hear that someone at NASA is looking at Ipopt! :-)

I think it is cool to be e-mailing someone at the IBM Watson Research Center!

> I do not know the details of the pyipopt interface, since I'm not a python
> user.  However, if there is only one feature missing (e.g., access to the
> intermediate_callback method), you might want to contact the developer of
> the pyipopt package and see if (s)he can help you to add this feature (or
> even add this feature him/herself), to save yourself some work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent an e-mail to the author.

> Nevertheless, it would certainly be great if we could add a python
> interface to the Ipopt distribution.  What it would require (apart from
> actually writing the code :-) ) is that you are willing to maintain the
> interface and answer to questions on the mailing list regarding this
> interface, and that you can contribute the code under the Common Public
> License (after checking with your employer).

Sounds OK to me but I do need to check.

>  Sometimes, one also has to
> be careful when using other third party code and it might not be possible
> to distribute your code under different licenses (for example, SWIG seems
> to be available under the GPL which is not compatible with the CPL).

We read through the SWIG license.  Luckily, there is actually no issue at all. SWIG itself is GPL, but by statement of the developer the code that SWIG generates to wrap it is not GPL. He explicitly states that this code carrys whatever license you wish to put on it.

> Once you have the interface written and tested, I should contact me
> directly and we can discuss the details.  (I hope this paragraph does not
> sound discouraging, but I'd rather raise these potential issues
> immediately.)

BTW, we are interested in using Ipopt with this project we are working on here at the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland.

	http://openmdao.org/

Herb Schilling
hschilling at nasa.gov