[Ipopt] building shared libraries under mingw doesnt work for me

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon May 17 11:25:29 EDT 2010

Hi Jens,

> after I managed to compile Ipopt, I realized that the configure-script
> always complaines about the shared libraries:
> "WARNING: On Msys, shared objects are not supported. I'm disabling your choice."
>
> What is the problem here?
> Is it too little man power to support this feature?
> Are there some extra hurdles under Msys?
> What are my options to get a shared library of ipopt build with the
> gcc under windows?

We (=a number of COIN projects) are using libtool to generate the
libraries.  Being afraid of breaking things we haven't updated the version
of libtool we are using in a number of years, and we could not get that
old version to properly produce shared libraries on msys, so we disabled
this in the configure scripts.

This is not really an issue with the Ipopt project, but instead of the
BuildTools COIN-OR project that provides configure and build tools for a
number of COIN projects.  So, if you would like to continue a discussion
about this, it probably makes more sense to do that on the BuildTools
mailing list.