[Ipopt] An eval fucntion return value question

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Tue Jan 26 09:18:48 EST 2010

If you look at the documentation for the eval_f procedure (current on
the web page)
     http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/node37.html
You will see that eval_f returns a boolean. I have not been able to find
the documentation for the meaning of this flag.

If you look at the source code in Algorithm/IpOrigIpoptNLP.cpp, you will see
       bool success = nlp_->Eval_f(*unscaled_x, ret);
       f_eval_time_.End();
       DBG_PRINT((1, "success = %d ret = %e\n", success, ret));
       ASSERT_EXCEPTION(success && IsFiniteNumber(ret), Eval_Error,
                        "Error evaluating the objective function");

It appears to me that if the return flag from eval_f is false, Ipopt
will abort. Is this correct ?