[Ipopt] Null pointer crash

Hans Pirnay hans.pirnay at rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jan 19 15:00:25 EST 2010

Hi Kelly,

I don't really have a clue what exactly could have gone wrong in your
case, but here are my thoughts anyway:

IPOPT maintains a current and a trial iterate. Each time the current
iterate is set from the trial iterate, the trial iterate's pointer is
set to NULL. The trial vector is supposed to be set during the call to
LineSearch->FindAcceptableTrialPoint(). So either the trial vector has
not been set at all, has been set partially (which I think is
unlikely, given that trial->x() is not set), or has been set but
overridden (AcceptTrialPoint is called in BackTrackingLineSearch,
which sets trial to NULL). It would probably help to find out what
exactly is done in the call of the LineSearch prior to the failed
assertion. It would make sense if AcceptTrialPoint was called
somewhere in the LineSearch without resetting the trial iterate, but
that's just a guess. This would set trial to NULL, and lead to the
failed assertions.

Try getting detailed output from BackTrackingLineSearch, or if
possible, post the test case.

I hope this is of any help.

Hans