[Ipopt] Null pointer crash

Plett, Kelly KPlett at kbcat.com
Mon Jan 18 13:48:39 EST 2010

Hi all,

We have been using Ipopt with good success to optimize various black-box
process models, so thanks to all who have contributed to the project.
However...

Recently I have been running into an increasing number of crashes in
IpoptCalculatedQuantities::curr_d_minus_s() on a null s pointer.  When I
bump up COIN_IPOPT_CHECKLEVEL to 3, I observe SmartPtr assertions
starting in IpoptCalculatedQuantities::trial_slack_x_L() because
ip_data_->trial()->x() is null.  This occurs in AcceptTrialPoint on the
max_correction = correct_bound_multiplier(...) line with the following
call stack:
 	ipopt.dll!_wassert(const wchar_t * expr=0x0f594ea4, const
wchar_t * filename=0x0f594e40, unsigned int lineno=433)  Line 384
 	ipopt.dll!Ipopt::SmartPtr<Ipopt::Vector const >::operator*()
Line 433 + 0x1c bytes	C++
 	ipopt.dll!Ipopt::IpoptCalculatedQuantities::trial_slack_x_L()
Line 357 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	ipopt.dll!Ipopt::IpoptCalculatedQuantities::trial_compl_x_L()
Line 1823 + 0xc bytes	C++
>	ipopt.dll!Ipopt::IpoptAlgorithm::AcceptTrialPoint()  Line 658 +
0x1d bytes	C++
 	ipopt.dll!Ipopt::IpoptAlgorithm::Optimize(bool isResto=false)
Line 367	C++

Being new to the internals of Ipopt, under what conditions will the
trial x vector be null?  Is there anything specific I should look for in
the diagnostics that might help me identify the root cause?  Any
guidance would be greatly appreciated!

The case in which I am currently observing this behaviour is tiny (one
variable, one inequality), but I have seen it in larger ones as well.  I
can reproduce in both Ipopt 3.6.0 and 3.8.1.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
This e-mail is confidential and intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you or your organisation is not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender by replying and do not read or disseminate its information. Please delete all copies from your system. KBC is liable neither for the proper or complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of KBC are neither given nor endorsed by it. Even though the Webroot Virus Centre has checked this message for all known viruses, you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments. Thank you for your co-operation. www.kbcat.com