[Ipopt] ipopt on windows?

Gus Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Mon Dec 13 15:48:10 EST 2010

On 13 Dec 2010 at 14:19, Erim Kardes wrote:

> Hello,
> I wonder if IPOPT works fine on windows 7, and if so, any pointers to where I can find instructions? Thank you very much for your help.

Ipopt and Windows is not the happiest combination, but it can be done. The
main problem is that Ipopt requires external routines for its matrix
factorization, and the ones supported are written in Fortran. (I don't know if
there are any C/++ packages that would do the same.) So you will need a
fortran compiler, which is not standard with Visual Studio. Ifort is perhaps
the easiest.

If you have a Fortran compiler, it is probably best to get a unix-look-alike
system for the build (I would recommend MSYS or MinGW). I have not tried
with the latest versions, but Ipopt 3.8.1 used to work on my machine (using
XP, but that should not matter.)

If you are adventurous and tight with your money, you /can/ get away with
the f2c translator that translates F77 (so you must use the Harwell
Subroutine Library for the factorizations, not Mumps). f2c can be
downloaded from the netlib site.

There is also documentation on the ipopt page at COIN-OR:
https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

Hope that helps to get you started.

Cheers

gus