[Ipopt] Ipopt 3.4.0 installation on Intel Mac

Stefan Vigerske stefan at vigerske.de
Sat May 3 04:54:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

> I am trying to install Ipopt 3.4.0 on an intel Mac running OSX
> 10.5.2 (leopard).
>
> I first tried to use the standard procedure :
>
> The default ./configure script returned the following error :
>
> configure:22429: error: cannot compute sizeof (int *), 77
> See `config.log' for more details.
>>From the log, the precise source of the error seemed to be "undefined
> symbols:
> "_cplusplus":

Can you send the config.log for this one?

> Just to reduce uncertainties, I retrieved and compiled the external
> libraries HSL, BLAS and LAPACK with gfortran (those libraries tested OK).
> I added some flags to the configure script ( those recommanded for Mac
> systems in this page https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/MatlabInterface)
>
> ./configure ADD_CFLAGS=" -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -fexceptions -fPIC"
> ADD_CXXFLAGS=" -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -fexceptions -fPIC"
> ADD_FFLAGS="-x f77-cpp-input -fPIC -fno-common"  FLIBS="-lSystem"
> F77=gfortran
> CC=gcc CXX=gcc --with-blas="-L/test/Ipopt/Ipopt-3.4.0/ThirdParty/Blas
> -lblas"
> --with-hsl="-L/test/Ipopt/Ipopt-3.4.0/ThirdParty/HSL -lhsl"
> --with-lapack="-L/test/Desktop/Ipopt/Ipopt-3.4.0/ThirdParty/Lapack -llapack"

I do not remember to need such many flags for compling Ipopt on an Intel
Mac. The -no-cpp-precomp looks suspicious to me. Also it should be
CXX=g++, not gcc.

> The configure script returned a different error this time :
>
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_foobar", referenced from:
>       _main in cc2mJp4m.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
>
> Here is the config.log file from the latest attempt (zipped to fit the list
> size limit).
> Could you help me to complete this installation ?

 From the config.log you send, the problem seem to be:
/usr/include/mach/i386/_structs.h:91: error: type of bit-field
'__invalid' is a GCC extension

> I also tried the (unofficial?) procedure suggested by Peter Carbonetto to
> compile Ipopt 3.3.5 on Mac
> (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~pcarbo/<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/%7Epcarbo/>).
>
> The compilation seemed to work, but calls to the compiled library file
> failed.

What is the failure?

> This page (
> https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/user-examples#LinkingyourCodewithCOINLibraries
>  ) seem to suggest that linking to Ipopt requires header files generated
> during
> a standard compilation.
> Is it correct ?

Yes. After make install you get several header files in the include/coin
subdirectory of your installation. When you use the Ipopt library, best
is to use also the header files from there. The config_ipopt.h is system
specific and contains the specifica of your build platform.

Best,