[Coin-ipopt] A Matlab volunteer?

Steven Dirkse sdirkse at gams.com
Sat Jul 28 21:19:30 EDT 2007

Peter Carbonetto wrote:
> If you do not own a copy of Matlab and you don't have Windows, please
> disregard this notice.
>
> I sent an email a few weeks ago announcing a Matlab interface for IPOPT.
> It has now been fairly well tested on Linux and Mac OS X, but it has yet
> to be tested on Windows.
>
> We are looking for someone who has Matlab installed on Windows, and is
> willing to take a few moments of their time to follow the installation
> instructions for the MATLAB interface, to try the examples, and to
> communicate any problems to myself.
>
> For more information, please see the IPOPT project website and the
> documentation webpage for the MATLAB interface:
> https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/MatlabInterface
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter Carbonetto
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Dept. of Computer Science
> University of British Columbia

I thought I'd try this out on my WinXP X64 machine.  Creating MEX files
is working fine but I can't get IPOPT to compile on this machine in the
usual way, i.e. before adding any flags for the MEX work.  It seems the
problem is my stdlibc++ on this machine is quite old but I'm not sure
how to update it, and the recent updates I made should have been quite
recent.  Perhaps somebody who's built IPOPT on Win64 with the Intel
compilers can give me a hint about their setup on this platform.

Details:
   1. I get compiler errors for string.clear, here's a tiny example:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
   string foo;

   foo = "string foo";

   cout << "tiny example: foo=" << foo << endl;
   foo.clear();
   cout << "after clear: foo=" << foo << endl;
}

$ icl  myclear.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Intel(R) EM64T-based applications, Version 9.1
    Buil
d 20070322
Copyright (C) 1985-2007 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

myclear.cpp
myclear.cpp(13): error: class "std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>>" has no member "clear"
     foo.clear();
         ^

compilation aborted for myclear.cpp (code 2)

   2. I can hack around the .clear errors but then I get errors about
string.push_back, so I better just fix the problem.

   3. Here's the cl that's used by icl:
$ cl
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.40310.41 for AMD64

usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]

TIA,

--
Steven Dirkse, Ph.D.    GAMS Development Corporation
1217 Potomac St. NW             Washington DC  20007