[Coin-ipopt] compiling and installing IPOPT

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Apr 18 11:56:55 EDT 2007

Hi David,

As for the libipopt.a:  By default, 'make install' will generate shared
libraries (libipopt.so, as you found it in your lib directory).  So, the
compilation of the Ipopt library actually worked, and that's all fine.
If for some reason you prefer to generate a static library, you can
specify --disable-shared as "configure" option.  But before rerunning
configure, I strongly suggest you do a 'make uninstall' and 'make
distclean' first.  See also
https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinHelp/wiki/user-configure

As for the missing binary:  Are you sure that the AMPL code has been put
into the right place and has been compiled?  The AMPL solver executable
"ipopt" (in bin/) is only compiled if the configure script finds the ASL
source code.  The best way to check is to go into the ThridParty/ASL
directory (as subdirectory of the directory where you ran configure) and
see if there is something compiled in there.  If not. then configure
didn't find the ASL source code.  The output of configure should also tell
you (in the midst of too much output) if ASL has been found.

So, I suggest, you do 'make uninstall' and 'make distclean', make sure
that the ASL code is in the right place, and then rerun configure
(including the --disable-shared option, if you don't like shared
libraries).  Scan the configure output (towards the end) to see if it says
that the ASL source code was found.