[Couenne] Analyzing output

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:41:35 EST 2013

Ina,

> How do I know when the first solution is found? Is this when the output
> gives for the first time "integer solution of .... found" or when it
> says " .... best solution"?

The line "integer solution..." indicates that one solution was found and
it is stored and used as a cutoff. This happens before the output line
containing "... best solution".

> How do I know how every new solution was found? Does the output give
> information which heuristic found the solution?

Yes, every line containing "integer solution". However, only those that
improve on the previous value of the cutoff.

> If Couenne prints some additional statistics I get an extra line at the
> end of the output. What do the following brackets mean:

[root] the number of linear inequalities that provide a relaxation of the nonlinear problem that added at the root node;
[tot]  the total number of such linear inequalities added;
[sep]  the time spent in the separation of these inequalities;
[bb]   the time spent within the branch-and-bound

This is printed out with the option "display_stats yes" in the couenne.opt
file, although it is used mostly for debugging purposes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences