[Couenne] clean update of Couenne in LINUX

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Mon Sep 27 14:18:53 EDT 2010

Hello David,

> I face troubleshoot while updating Couenne (on LINUX)
> Following COIN-OR general usage, I first do the command :
>
> cd Couenne
> svn switch https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Couenne/releases/0.3.2
>
> I follow then the install of Third Party using get or wget corresponding scripts
> Then the next step (cd build then ../configure -C) finally fails with the message :
> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
>
> configure: error: /bin/bash '../../../ThirdParty/HSL/configure' failed for ThirdParty/HSL

"make distclean" is the right thing to do here. Because new source has
been downloaded, the Makefile's have to be changed accordingly.

> Does this error comes from :
> 1) a wrong update of the source code ?

I wouldn't think so.

> 2) a wrong INSTALL of HSL . I must say this HSL part confuses me :
> sometimes, it seems to me that it is optional if you already ran the
> MUMPS script. Otherwise, it is not clear at all what file shall be
> downloaded.I took ma27 and mc19 (saving them as ma27ad.f and mc19ad.f)

The HSL is indeed optional if you download Mumps. If you do obtain the
source code for HSL, however, Couenne will attempt to configure and
compile the code.

> 3) something else
> If I try to run make distclean from the build directory I got the next error message :
>
> /bin/bash: line 26: cd: Couenne: No such file or directory of this type
> make: *** [distclean-recursive] Error

This might happen from time to time. In some cases I found it useful to
run BuildTools/run_autotools from the base directory, and then configure
again from the build/ directory.

> What if I want to clean correctly a previous install and restart from
> scratch ? I guess deleting the Couenne dir itself is probably not the
> best idea

I agree, although sometimes it is the only way.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences