[Couenne] problems in using couenne

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:01:05 EDT 2010

Hello,

> 1)      I have used couenne, on AMPL, to solve one of my models which I sent
> to you previously. But the computation time is very long, more than a week,
> and now do not end. I hope to stop it while I hope to keep the computational
> solution for maybe couenne has found the optimal solution. How will I do? In
> the later, if I will make couenne to compute in a not
> long time, which option parameters should I set for couenne?

create a file couenne.opt, which has to be in the same directory where you
run AMPL. The file should contain a line like the following

time_limit 7200

where the value of the parameter expresses the number of seconds after
which Couenne should stop if it didn't find an optimal solution yet.

> 2)      Now I run couenne on AMPL. I hope to know: if I just use couenne to
> solve a nl file (using “couenne *.nl” command, not on the platforms such as
> AMPL or GAMS), how to know and display the solution results?

Please check

http://list.coin-or.org/pipermail/couenne/2009-July/000041.html

If the file is MyFolder/MyInstance.nl, running the command "couenne
MyFolder/MyInstance.nl" will generate a file MyFolder/MyInstance.sol. The
last n lines of the .sol file contain the value of the variables in the
best solution found by Couenne.

> 3)      I have used couenne of windows version, but it can run just on one
> computer and can not run on other windows computers. If the computer have
> installed visual studio, the error messages will be as
>
> An unhandled win32 exception occurred in couenne.exe [2660].
>
> Possible debuggers: New instance of Visual Studio 2008.
>
> Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?
>
>     If the computer have not installed visual studio, couenne will stop and
> the error messages will be as
>
>                     An unhandled win32 exception occurred in couenne.exe
>
> I don’t know what is the problem?

I did not encounter such problem before. It might be useful if you send
the instance that generated this problem and provide more information:
the version of Couenne you have been using, the type of machine, the
compiler version, etc.

> 4)      Couenne can not be run on my linux computer. When I run it, messages
> as 'error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory' will appear. I have doubted my
> gcc version, so I tried several couenne version, similar message will appear
> but the shared libraries libgfortran.so.* are different.
> I do not know what is the problem as well?

That might depend strongly on the configuration. According to a recent
post,

http://list.coin-or.org/pipermail/couenne/2010-September/000123.html

the following configuration option might help:

$ ../configure FFLAGS="-m64 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences