[CoinBinary] Prototype fedora packages

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sun Nov 18 22:51:38 EST 2012

Hi Pedro,

Sorry for the delay in responding! I have done some investigating and there
are a few things that had slipped my mind about the Data project that I
should have told you about. Also, I realized by your questions that some
things are not quite right in the repository, so we should get those things
taken care of before we proceed.

First, the reason why the last tarball of the Data project is from 2008 is
because a while back, we split the Data project into subprojects.
Primarily, the reason was that we didn't want to require users to download
the entire Data project in order just to be able to run installation
verification tests when only a small number of instances would be required
for that. We created a subproject called "Sample" whose purpose was to be
the one part of Data that users should get by default. The other
subprojects are now supposed to be manual downloads. We changed the unit
testing harnesses for (most of) the projects so that if a manually
downloaded data set is present when the unit test is run, it will be used.
Otherwise, just Sample is assumed to be present. A side benefit of this is
that Sample is the only one we would really have to worry about in this
case and I would suggest that we only think about distributing this one.

If you take a look at

https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Data/

you will see what I'm talking about. The trunk/stable/releases hierarchy at
the root level is left over from the old style of doing things. The other
subdirectories are the new style and if you poke around, you will see that
they have more recent releases.

I've now realized that at least some of the projects still depend on the
old Data project (CoinUtils, for example). Let me review all of this with
the TLC and try to clean things up a little. We will make sure that
everything depends only on the Sample subproject and make new releases as
appropriate. We are actually overdue for production of new stables and
releases for a number of projects, so if you can be a little patient, we'll
get this all cleaned up before you move forward.

Do you think it's necessary to make tarballs of just the subfolders
containing the main project code for each project? I don't remember if you
said anything about this.

Cheers,

Ted