[CoinBinary] Prototype fedora packages

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:02:26 EST 2012

2012/11/19 Ted Ralphs <ted at lehigh.edu>:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding! I have done some investigating and there
> are a few things that had slipped my mind about the Data project that I
> should have told you about. Also, I realized by your questions that some
> things are not quite right in the repository, so we should get those things
> taken care of before we proceed.
>
> First, the reason why the last tarball of the Data project is from 2008 is
> because a while back, we split the Data project into subprojects. Primarily,
> the reason was that we didn't want to require users to download the entire
> Data project in order just to be able to run installation verification tests
> when only a small number of instances would be required for that. We created
> a subproject called "Sample" whose purpose was to be the one part of Data
> that users should get by default. The other subprojects are now supposed to
> be manual downloads. We changed the unit testing harnesses for (most of) the
> projects so that if a manually downloaded data set is present when the unit
> test is run, it will be used. Otherwise, just Sample is assumed to be
> present. A side benefit of this is that Sample is the only one we would
> really have to worry about in this case and I would suggest that we only
> think about distributing this one.

  Ok. I can make a coin-or-Sample package, that I believe should use
http://www.coin-or.org/download/source/Data/Sample-1.2.2.tgz
as source tarball, and then check if any patch or extra data is
required to run "make tests" on the different rpm packages.

> If you take a look at
>
> https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Data/
>
> you will see what I'm talking about. The trunk/stable/releases hierarchy at
> the root level is left over from the old style of doing things. The other
> subdirectories are the new style and if you poke around, you will see that
> they have more recent releases.
>
> I've now realized that at least some of the projects still depend on the old
> Data project (CoinUtils, for example). Let me review all of this with the
> TLC and try to clean things up a little. We will make sure that everything
> depends only on the Sample subproject and make new releases as appropriate.
> We are actually overdue for production of new stables and releases for a
> number of projects, so if you can be a little patient, we'll get this all
> cleaned up before you move forward.

  No problems and no hurry :-)

> Do you think it's necessary to make tarballs of just the subfolders
> containing the main project code for each project? I don't remember if you
> said anything about this.

  It should make tarballs with only the subfolder of the main project, my
new "prototype" ends doing this by remaking tarballs.

> Cheers,
>
> Ted

Thanks,
Paulo