[Coin-discuss] Would it be possible to relicense parts of COIN-OR under an Apache License?

Soeren Sonnenburg sonne at debian.org
Sat Oct 8 15:24:16 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 12:05 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/8/11, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
>
> > If I was you I would give up and take
> > what is there. COIN OR people will
> > never re-license under a GPL compatible license like the
> > Apache License, Version 2.0.
> >

> IMHO, the FSF is rather absurd in some of the requirements
> it makes: freedom is not something you can force on people.
>
> If that's the problem, there are small workarounds to make
> both sides happy: we are indeed considering other software
> that is not considered GPL compatible. In this case I
> would find an advertisement clause quite acceptable.

I am just saying they intentionally did choose a non-gpl compatible
license and all my begging in the last 3 years didn't make any
difference (and there are really many gpl compatible ones highlighting
all the different aspects I could think of). So a relicensing to the
apache 2.0 license is very unlikely to happen. ever.

> > In addition, now that openoffice is obsoleted by
> > libreoffice it is not
> > really giving them a big incentive to do so.
> >

> Bah ...
> I've been hearing for years the GNU/linux community
> saying that BSD is dying.. and guess what is the main
> (only?) non-linux Debian port ;-).

I just realized that both open and libreoffice got gsoc sponsored. I
would certainly prefer if only *one* variant is developed further but
*jointly*. No offense but given that the most popular linux
distributions replaced oo with libreoffice in the default install
already, it will be tough for oo to keep pace...

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962