[Coin-discuss] Would it be possible to relicense parts of COIN-OR under an Apache License?

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Sat Oct 8 15:05:29 EDT 2011

--- On Sat, 10/8/11, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> If I was you I would give up and take
> what is there. COIN OR people will
> never re-license under a GPL compatible license like the
> Apache License, Version 2.0.

IMHO, the FSF is rather absurd in some of the requirements
it makes: freedom is not something you can force on people.

If that's the problem, there are small workarounds to make
both sides happy: we are indeed considering other software
that is not considered GPL compatible. In this case I
would find an advertisement clause quite acceptable.

> In addition, now that openoffice is obsoleted by
> libreoffice it is not
> really giving them a big incentive to do so.

Bah ...
I've been hearing for years the GNU/linux community
saying that BSD is dying.. and guess what is the main
(only?) non-linux Debian port ;-).

Cheers,

Pedro.