[Coin-discuss] Would it be possible to relicense parts of COIN-OR under an Apache License?

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Sat Oct 8 15:33:56 EDT 2011

--- On Sat, 10/8/11, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip at tutopia.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 10/8/11, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
>
> > If I was you I would give up and take
> > what is there. COIN OR people will
> > never re-license under a GPL compatible license like
> > the Apache License, Version 2.0.

> If that's the problem, there are small workarounds to make
> both sides happy: we are indeed considering other software
> that is not considered GPL compatible. In this case I
> would find an advertisement clause quite acceptable.

To be more specific, the Apache License 1.1 has a pretty
minimal attribution requirement in the documentation,
which I think would be nice for COIN-OR:

http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-1.1

Or the Apache License 1.0 which is very similar to the
traditional BSD license with advertisement clause.

Both would work fine for Apache and most other free
software projects.

best regards,

Pedro.