[Coin-discuss] GMPL support in COIN-OR

Michal Kaut mail at michalkaut.net
Thu Oct 9 08:52:32 EDT 2008

I have tried using the GMPL (GNU Math Prog Language) input format with
CBC and Symphony and it looks like it won't process any "printf"
commands that come after the "solve;" command -- while "printf" before
the "solve" are processed correctly. Note that I am speaking about the
command-line executables, invoked respectively as
cbc model.mod%model.dat
symphony -F model.mod -D model.dat

In both cases, I have used the latest stable version from the SVN and
compiled it using on Windows XP using MSYS/MinGW with gcc 4.3.0.

Is this a build problem on my side, or is it the way things are? And if
the latter, are there any plans to support also the processing of
results in a (near) future? And for now, what is the best way of
accessing the solution? Symphony at least prints out all the non-zero
elements using the variable names and indices from the .mod file, but
what about CBC?

(From my point of view, without a user-defined output most of the
advantage of using a modelling language goes away...)

Thanks,
Michal