[Coin-discuss] Finding all solutions to IP

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Tue May 8 11:02:47 EDT 2007

Martin,

Sorry - the variables have to be 0-1.  If desperate you could do an
expansion - x = b0 + 2b1 + 4b2 +8 b3.

John Forrest

             Martin von Gagern
             <Martin.vGagern at g
             mx.net>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  Discussions about open source
             coin-discuss-boun         software for Operations Research
             ces at list.coin-or.         <coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>
             org                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/08/07 10:25 AM         Re: [Coin-discuss] Finding all
                                       solutions to IP

             Please respond to
             Discussions about
                open source
               software for
                Operations
                 Research
             <coin-discuss at lis
              t.coin-or.org>

John J Forrest wrote:
> OA - Outer Approximation.  Technique used in Mixed Integer Non Linear
> Programming.

Ah, thank you! OK, as I'm only linear, and this OA was always mentioned
in conjunction with solutionAddsCuts, I guess this might not be the
right approach for me.

> If your IP is binary with coefficients which can be made integer then
opbdp
> (Just use to search on web) does efficient implicit enumeration.  To get
> all solutions then one line has to be modified - see OsiOpbdpSolve.hpp.
> That is probably code you were thinking of.

Yes, that's the one I had stumpled upon earlier on. However, my
variables are not binary but can have a wider range, say 0 <= x_i <= 10
or something like that. I take it that the restriction to binary
instances has some deep reason and the algorithm is not easily
generalized to arbitrary integers, right?

Thank's for your information,
 Martin von Gagern

[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by John J Forrest/Watson/IBM]