[Coin-discuss] How to speed-up Cbc?

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 26 08:45:43 EST 2007

Michal,

Thank you - I will look at problem.

John Forrest

Michal Kaut <mail at michalkaut.net>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
01/26/2007 08:06 AM
Please respond to
michal.kaut at hiMolde.no; Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>

coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] How to speed-up Cbc?

Hello,

I am working with a MIP problem. I have tried a couple of solvers and
Cbc is by far the slowest one. Can someone give me a hint which options
can I use to speed this particular problem up? I attach an MPS file.

On my computer, CPLEX uses under 0.5 seconds, glpsol (from GLPK) 0.2
seconds(!) and lpsolve 3.5 seconds, while Cbc with default settings
almost 16 seconds. I tried both my own compiled binary (Windows with
MSYS and MinGW) and both binaries from the "Coin Binary" project.

I tried several options and found that I can get the time down to 6.5
seconds using "-heur off", but it is still much slower than the rest.
Note that this just a test example. I have a bigger version that takes
under 40 seconds with both CPLEX and glpsol, while Cbc did not solve it
in more than 20 minutes (then I gave up and stopped it).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Michal Kaut
[attachment "small_test.zip" deleted by John J Forrest/Watson/IBM]