[Coin-discuss] How to speed-up Cbc?

Michal Kaut mail at michalkaut.net
Fri Jan 26 08:06:27 EST 2007

Hello,

I am working with a MIP problem. I have tried a couple of solvers and
Cbc is by far the slowest one. Can someone give me a hint which options
can I use to speed this particular problem up? I attach an MPS file.

On my computer, CPLEX uses under 0.5 seconds, glpsol (from GLPK) 0.2
seconds(!) and lpsolve 3.5 seconds, while Cbc with default settings
almost 16 seconds. I tried both my own compiled binary (Windows with
MSYS and MinGW) and both binaries from the "Coin Binary" project.

I tried several options and found that I can get the time down to 6.5
seconds using "-heur off", but it is still much slower than the rest.
Note that this just a test example. I have a bigger version that takes
under 40 seconds with both CPLEX and glpsol, while Cbc did not solve it
in more than 20 minutes (then I gave up and stopped it).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Michal Kaut