[Coin-discuss] How to speed-up Cbc?

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 26 10:24:18 EST 2007

This is a case of less is more - using trunk

cbc -solve                                              9.81
cbc -cuts off -solve                                    1.08
cbc -cuts off -preprocess off -solve                    0.71
cbc -cuts off -strong 0 -preprocess off -solve          0.53
cbc -cuts off -strong 0 -preprocess off -heuristic off -solve   0.30

As you can see the cuts are the main culprit.  The code thinks they are
doing good but they do not seem to do much.  Interestingly neither flow
cover or mixed integer rounding give any cuts - while they do in cplex.

For larger problems it may still be worth doing preprocessing.  Also
switching back on feasibility pump is marginally better.

(Note - I have just updated trunk so that strong=0 switches off strong
branching altogether - with previous version it would be -strong 0 -trust
0)

John Forrest

Michal Kaut <mail at michalkaut.net>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
01/26/2007 08:06 AM
Please respond to
michal.kaut at hiMolde.no; Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>

coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] How to speed-up Cbc?

Hello,

I am working with a MIP problem. I have tried a couple of solvers and
Cbc is by far the slowest one. Can someone give me a hint which options
can I use to speed this particular problem up? I attach an MPS file.

On my computer, CPLEX uses under 0.5 seconds, glpsol (from GLPK) 0.2
seconds(!) and lpsolve 3.5 seconds, while Cbc with default settings
almost 16 seconds. I tried both my own compiled binary (Windows with
MSYS and MinGW) and both binaries from the "Coin Binary" project.

I tried several options and found that I can get the time down to 6.5
seconds using "-heur off", but it is still much slower than the rest.
Note that this just a test example. I have a bigger version that takes
under 40 seconds with both CPLEX and glpsol, while Cbc did not solve it
in more than 20 minutes (then I gave up and stopped it).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Michal Kaut
[attachment "small_test.zip" deleted by John J Forrest/Watson/IBM]