[Coin-discuss] clp performance much worse with g++4.1 vs. g++4.0

Stuart A Siegel stus at us.ibm.com
Sun Dec 9 15:56:45 EST 2007

After John mentioned that he doesn't see a difference I dug a bit deeper.
It turns out that the compiler issue is a red herring, my aplogies. What's
causing the performance difference is my (apparently) incorrect build
procedure.

When I build just Clp (using ../Clp-1.6.0 prefix=[somedirectory] && make
install) then performance is good from somedirectory/bin/clp

If I build Clp, Osi-0.97.0, and then Cbc-2.0.0 in that order using the
**same** prefix then somedirectory/bin/clp performs three times worse than
when I only build Clp.  This result is independent of the g++ version
being used.  I chose to build this way (all three into the same install
directory) because I had assumed that each provides a unique set of shared
objects, but my experience suggests that  this is not the case.

John, I'll be at Watson tomorrow (in fact, I think I'm across the hall
from you) so I can show you what I mean.  I will post the mps file on my
gsa account and send you a link in separate message.