[Coin-discuss] True 'make distclean'

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Jun 26 16:00:24 EDT 2006

Hi Michael,

>> I was not aware of uninstall. My point is that when we say 'make distclean'
>> before running configure with changed parameters, it would be safer
>> to say 'make uninstall', and 'make distclean'. Or if a 'make allclean'
>> is created, then mention that one.
>
> In the compilation instructions for a complex system,
> especially ones novices are allowed to use,
> the easiest instructions to find should
> be how to clean up after a mistake.
>
> Perhaps there should be a start-over script.
> It would just perform the appropriate makes,
> thereby simplifying the needed documentation.

I can just add that 'make allclean' target, which is probably easier than
a script.  But... (see below)

> When I can, I usually avoid compiling into the source directory.
> If I make a mess, cleanup is sooooo much easier and unsubtle.

...this is probably even a better solution.  I talked to Laci, and we
should probably recommend the VPATH installation in general, because then
one can just delete everything and start over, without messing with the
original source.  When I compile COIN, I always use the VPATH compilation,
and I tried to make sure that it also works for the MS compilers (which
required a few bugfixes in the autotools).  However, at this point a few
unitTests might not work then under Cywin, since symbolic links are
created, which are not understood by the native compilers.  Maybe we
should just recommend to people to use MSys to compile with the MS
compilers?  (There, ln -s copies the files)

Andreas