[Coin-discuss] non-optimal solutions from Osi

Kish Shen kish.shen at crosscoreop.com
Sat Jun 24 22:15:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

Over the last years, we have developed an interface to MP solvers for the
Constraint Logic Programming language ECLiPSe. Currently it is interfaced to
CPLEX and XPRESS, and I am currently extending it to OSI. Mainly I would like
to use CLP and CBC, but obviously the advantage of using OSI is to allow the
use of other solvers as well.

 I wonder if anyone could help me with several questions I have:

1) Is there anyway to cause the solving process to timeout? I could not find a
way to specify this in the OSI Doxygen docs.
2) When the solving of a problem is aborted before arriving at the optimal
solution, is there any generic way of a) telling the problem is feasible
(i.e. the solving process have found a non-optimal primal feasible solution),
and b) accessing this non-optimal solution
[In CPLEX/XPRESS, there are many status/return codes from the solving process,
and with which you can determine if there is a suboptimal solution available
for the different problem types (LP/MIP) and solving methods (primal/dual
Simplex, barrier), but it is not clear to me how I can do the equivalent via
OSI]

Thanks in advance for any help/information!

Kish Shen