[Coin-discuss] True 'make distclean'

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:34:07 EDT 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> I was not aware of uninstall. My point is that when we say 'make distclean'
> before running configure with changed parameters, it would be safer
> to say 'make uninstall', and 'make distclean'. Or if a 'make allclean'
> is created, then mention that one.

In the compilation instructions for a complex system,
especially ones novices are allowed to use,
the easiest instructions to find should
be how to clean up after a mistake.

Perhaps there should be a start-over script.
It would just perform the appropriate makes,
thereby simplifying the needed documentation.

> >> I also think that Laci's suggestion to have a build directory
> >> where configure is run is a much better setup than running
> >> configure from the main directory of a package. But even this
> >> does not solve the above problem.

When I can, I usually avoid compiling into the source directory.
If I make a mess, cleanup is sooooo much easier and unsubtle.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."