[Coin-discuss] Re: A query on Special Ordered Sets in Cbc

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 15 09:44:58 EST 2006

Robin passed on this query and I thought I would reply here.
--------

Robin,

Does CBC contain support for special ordered sets? If so, where can I find
more information about it? Can I also use this feature with the command
line version of CBC, or only with the API?
Thanks,

Segev Wasserkrug

-----

An example of using special ordered sets of type 1 with the API is in
Cbc/Samples/sos.cpp.  This can also be compiled to give an artificial
example of using SOS of type 2.  They do work effectively on suitable
problems and I have been informed by John Tomlin (what does he know about
SOS? :-) that the SOS 2 feature works well on genuine problems.

As a reminder the recommended version of command line CBC is Cbc/solve
(created by "make solve").  The default preprocessing is to try and
identify SOS of type 1, however it is over cautious in doing this.  If
there is interest I could think of allowing solve to read an SOS file
although there is a problem of what to do if preprocessing makes large
changes to the model.

John Forrest