[Coin-discuss] Cbc link to AMPL and Osi link to opbdp

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 15 10:42:11 EST 2006

I have put in a beta version of CBC which can be called directly from
AMPL.  It seems usable but could be extended.  See Cbc/README and
Makefiles/Makefile.location for hints.  To use it you will have to
download the AMPL interface source code and build AMPL interface library
and modify Makefile.locations.  Then when you do "make solve" in Cbc you
will get an AMPL enabled version of "solve".

Now "solve" is not a good name for an AMPL solver so I would copy it to
"cbc" in a directory AMPL uses.  It is just as the normal executable but
it will read problem and write solution from and to ampl files if the
first argument is xxxxx.nl and the second is -AMPL.  Command line
arguments are as normal but should be set in cbc_options inside AMPL - the
syntax is more MINOS like for AMPL parsing so "-cuts root" would be
entered as "cuts=root" etc.

I also have been playing with opbdp.  This is an implicit enumeration
solver for pure 0-1 problems which has been useful in some work I have
been doing so I have written a simple interface to it OsiOpbdpSolve.?pp -
an example of use is in OsiSolverInterfaceTest.cpp.  I have a small patch
to code which allows you to obtain all feasible solutions to a pure 0-1
problem in case that is of any interest - details of patch in
OsiOpbdpsolve.hpp.

John Forrest