[Coin-discuss] Benchmark Instances & code for format conversions

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Thu Apr 27 11:28:19 EDT 2006

You bring up an important challenge, Anureet, and most of us who work on
COIN-OR projects do envision COIN-OR helping to host instance/model/data
repositories.  In fact, there is currently an effort underway exploring
ways to share real problems for industry as part of a "Real Problem
Exchange".  That doesn't solve the problem you faced, but it is an
example of COIN-OR including data.

Tobias pointed out some of the challenges of any such repository,
including important decisions that need to be made by the maintainers.

 From a procedural point of view, COIN-OR will treat an
instance/model/data repository like any other project.  If someone has
one that they would like to submit to be a part of COIN-OR, then they
can do so.  The process is given at
http://www.coin-or.org/contributions.html#submissions
Note in particular that every project needs a project manager.

As in any open-source project, part of the start-up challenge is finding
enough people (maybe just one person) willing to put in enough time to
create an initial project and willing to continue serving as project
manager.  Whether the project is useful in the long run depends on
whether the community interest and needs have been adequately accounted
for.  What would be a useful scope?  Is it models or instances?  What
will be most helpful to others?

Brady

--
Brady Hunsaker