[Coin-discuss] Build failure from current CVS source on SuSE 9.1 AMD64 platform with fix

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu May 12 22:49:32 EDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Laszlo Ladanyi wrote:

> Hi Clint,
>
> I have modified the makefile and put k8 there (if the arch is x86_64), but
> that is still not perfect, since k8 is available only from g++-3.4 and up. I'm
> not sure what's the best solution since at that point the version of g++
> is not known. I suppose one could do a $(shell g++ -v) and parse the
> result... Any other suggestion?

Do earlier versions of gcc support x86_64 with some other parameter?  If
not, then it's a pretty safe bet that if ARCH=x86_64 then -march=k8 is the
right thing to do for gcc.

BTW, I thought I had patched this back in January (Makefile.Linux v1.11
and 1.12).

 		Matt

> --Laci
>

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Clint wrote:
>
>> The default CVS checkout of the Cbc (and dependent) modules fails to
>> compile on SuSE 9.1 AMD64 platform.  I checked out the source for the
>> Cbc module via cvs and make failed with the following errors:
>>
>> cc1plus: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch
>>
>> I traced this down to COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.linux, where
>>
>> ARCH=$(shell arch)
>>
>> is passed on to
>>
>> CXXFLAGS += -march=$(ARCH)
>>
>> On the AMD64 platform, ARCH=x86_64, however this is not a correct
>> argument to -march in GCC.  I hardcoded
>>
>> ARCH=k8
>>
>> into Makefile.linux and make proceeded normally.  This is obviously
>> not a permanent fix, but I just wanted to report the bug.
>>
>> - clint

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs