[Coin-discuss] hopefully the COIN-OR build process doesn't reflect the quality of the codes themselves

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Mar 20 16:33:13 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, C. Michailidis wrote:

> All this work building sophisticated OR software and no one ever heard of the
> GNU autobuild tools, eh??? Am I missing something, here?
>
> I'm trying to build COIN-OR and the Clp module on my system (FreeBSD
> 5.4-PRERELEASE i386) and having difficulty.
>
> Can't I just do a:
>
> ./configure -option1 -option2 -option3
> make
> make install
>
> and be up and running?

To some of us, there are only two thing harder than
trying to read autoconf documentation: trying to read
autoconf input and trying to write autoconf input.

Some things are easy *if* one knows how.
I think that someone is about to be drafted.
Be sure to document carefully, so that the
rest of us can make changes that might be
necessary or useful.

That said, COIN would have to be a lot harder to
work with to not be a pretty good `buy' as is.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Our gods are dead.  Ancient Klingon warriors slew them