[Coin-discuss] workers segfault

Paul Pacheco paul.pacheco at wavecode.com
Fri Oct 17 12:05:35 EDT 2003

I finally got the parallel solver working.

I want to thank you for such a great framework. My boss just loves sitting
with me and watching this thing working with xpvm, and seing the parallel
algorithm in action. He has called everybody in the office to show them how
this thing works.

I found one last bug before I could get this to work, I attach a patch for
that.

The symthom was that the slaves were seg faulting and dying after a few
minutes, and the master didn't realize that, and it eventually hung waiting
for the dead slaves.

The problem seems to happen when a upper bound is found and sent to all the
slaves. a this point, the method BCP_lp_process_ub_message is called in the
slaves, and it tries to access p.lp_solver which is null.

If the patch solves the problem the wrong way, please let me know.