[Coin-discuss] SunOS support of OSI

Stephen Tse stephentse at home.com
Wed Mar 21 15:34:47 EST 2001

"Robin Lougee-Heimer" <robinlh at us.ibm.com> writes:

> >We plan to provide OSI support for our solver.

> That's wonderful news! By "our solver" I'm assuming your referring
> to bonsaiG? That'd be fantastic.

You guessed it right! To start, we will port the "dylp" subset (for
relaxed LP) of bonsai to Osi.

Thanks for the encouragement.

> >Is there any known problems of OSI with solaris?
>  No one has reported any problems so far that I'm aware of.  We'll report
> anything that comes up under the FAQs, and where ever else it makes
> sense. As far as Sun users, I know Laci Ladanyi has built and run
> the development version of BCP/OSI on SunOS in support of Suvrajeet
> Sen's group at Univ of AZ, and Matt Saltzman at Clemson Univ has Sun
> machines (but he may be doing most of his COIN-OR work on Redhat
> Linux).

I assume the code is portable to solaris, as the unit test runs okay.
However, the makefiles requires some minor tweakings:

1) ./Makefile.SunOS is not included in ./Makefile.coin
2) in {Osi,...}/Makefile, "wc" is assumed to produced statistics at
   7th column. It is true in linux but, in solaris, "wc" produces at
   8th column - failing to make the dependency file targets.

Anyway, it is a very minor problem. Who's reponsible for maintaining
makefiles?

> >Will solaris eventually be supported?
> Yes. Any and all SunOS users are welcome/needed to contribute to that
> effort.

We are developing on solaris, so if anything breaks in solaris we will
for sure bug you for that.