[Coin-lpsolver] BCP and Windows

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Oct 25 11:02:41 EDT 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Stephan Hennig wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use BCP with Borland C++ Builder. In the FAQ it is said, that
> BCP doesn't compile with Microsoft Visual C++:
>
> "At this time BCP does not compile on Windows with MS VC++ Version 6,
> because this compiler does not handle templated functions as BCP
> requires. ..."
>
> Only these platforms are named to be tested:
>     * AIX V4.3 using g++ V2.95.2
>     * Linux using g++ V2.95.2.
>     * Solaris (SunOS 5.6 and 5.8) using g++ V2.95.2
>
> Does this mean that it doesn't compile under Windows or is it just MS
> VC++ which fails to compile? I have no experience with COIN so far. I'm
> currently looking for a suitable environment. As far as I know, I could
> switch to the Symphony framework. Though, I read BCP has advantages when
> doing Branch&Price.
>
> If anyone could give me any advices on BCP under Windows I'd be very happy.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stephan Hennig

I think later versions of gcc should work on all the above platforms as
well.

There's a version of the GNU compiler and development toolchain for
Windows called Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/).  You should be able build
BCP with that (though I don't know if anyone has tried yet).  MS VC++ .NET
*should* also compile BCP, though again, I don't know if it's been done
and I've been told it's rather slow.

Please report back your experiences.  We're eager to help however we can.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu