[Cbc] Open Solver Issue

Favinger, Thomas E CIV USARMY AMSAA (US) thomas.e.favinger.civ at mail.mil
Thu Oct 6 11:34:32 EDT 2016

ALCON,

I am having the following issue with Open Solver.  Please refer to the
attached PowerPoint file.  As shown on Slide 1, I created an extremely
simple linear problem.  If I choose the Bonmin solver and run the model, the
result shown on Slide 2 occurs.  As shown on Slide 3, if I try to select the
CBC Linear Solver, then I get the error message shown on Slide 4.  Clicking
Debug leads to the result shown on Slide 5.  The Case statement does not
recognize "Cbc" because it appears to be looking for "CBC".  I have been
able to trace the code to the function GetNameValueIfExists (see Slide 6).
The HasRef value appears to be coming up False.  Eventually, the statement
value = Mid(s, 3, Len(s) - 3) seems to set value to "Cbc".  By adding the If
statement to the bottom of the function, I can actually force it to return
"CBC" which stops the error from occurring and allows the CBC Solver to work
(Slides 7 and 8).  It is not obvious to me why GetNameValueIfExists fails to
return "CBC" without being hacked, but perhaps those of you who live and
breathe the Open Solver software would have an idea?

Tom Favinger
US AMSAA
410-278-4310