[Cbc] Open Solver Issue

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Mon Oct 10 06:59:57 EDT 2016

Hi Tom,

This is is a question for the Open Solver team. If I understand well, I
don't think it has anything to do with Cbc as a stand-alone solver. I have
cc'd Andrew Mason, who can direct you better where to post your question,
but I think there are forums on the Open Solver site that would be a beter
place to go. Thanks!

Cheers,

Ted

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Favinger, Thomas E CIV USARMY AMSAA (US) <
thomas.e.favinger.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> ALCON,
>
> I am having the following issue with Open Solver.  Please refer to the
> attached PowerPoint file.  As shown on Slide 1, I created an extremely
> simple linear problem.  If I choose the Bonmin solver and run the model,
> the
> result shown on Slide 2 occurs.  As shown on Slide 3, if I try to select
> the
> CBC Linear Solver, then I get the error message shown on Slide 4.  Clicking
> Debug leads to the result shown on Slide 5.  The Case statement does not
> recognize "Cbc" because it appears to be looking for "CBC".  I have been
> able to trace the code to the function GetNameValueIfExists (see Slide 6).
> The HasRef value appears to be coming up False.  Eventually, the statement
> value = Mid(s, 3, Len(s) - 3) seems to set value to "Cbc".  By adding the
> If
> statement to the bottom of the function, I can actually force it to return
> "CBC" which stops the error from occurring and allows the CBC Solver to
> work
> (Slides 7 and 8).  It is not obvious to me why GetNameValueIfExists fails
> return "CBC" without being hacked, but perhaps those of you who live and
> breathe the Open Solver software would have an idea?
>
> Tom Favinger
> US AMSAA
> 410-278-4310

Dr. Ted Ralphs