[Cbc] Segmentation fault 11 when providing initial solution in command line

Joel Cofield joelcofield at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 14:54:28 EST 2015

Hi All,

I am trying to run cbc through the command line with an initial solution
but it does not work. My .lp and three tries at a .sol file are attached.

My first attempt uses a .sol file generated by an initial run of the same
MIP but does not provide all of the variables for some reason:
cbc Matching-pulp.lp mips Matching-init-pulp.sol solve
Cbc0045I MIPStart solution provided values for 1 of 162 integer variables,
22 variables are still fractional.

My second attempt was to simplify the solution file but I get a
segmentation fault:
cbc Matching-pulp.lp mips Matching-init-pulp_simpler.sol solve

So then I tried just making my own solution file and also received a
segmentation fault:

cbc Matching-pulp.lp mips Matching-manual.sol solve
Welcome to the CBC MILP Solver
Version: 2.9.0
Build Date: Feb 12 2015

command line -
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PuLP-1.5.6-py2.7.egg/pulp/solverdir/cbc/osx/64/cbc
Matching-pulp.lp mips Matching-manual.sol solve (default strategy 1)
 CoinLpIO::readLp(): Maximization problem reformulated as minimization
will open mipstart file ./Matching-manual.sol.
mipstart values read for 15 variables.
Continuous objective value is 745 - 0.00 seconds
Cgl0008I 15 inequality constraints converted to equality constraints
Cgl0004I processed model has 68 rows, 167 columns (162 integer (162 of
which binary)) and 503 elements
Cutoff increment increased from 1e-05 to 0.9999
Segmentation fault: 11

If I just run cbc Matching-pulp.lp solve then cbc finds the optimal
solution.

Why are these file causing memory issues? Are there mips file standards I
can follow or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Joel