[Cbc] standalone CBC problem

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Mon Mar 14 23:53:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

One of our user have run into a problem with using Cbc for their
problem. They were initially using our interface to Cbc/Clp, which uses
the callable library (using CbcSolver), runing on a 64 bit Win7 machine,
with 8G of memory. Apparently they get an error message about the
program have stopped working.

They wrote their problem out as an MPS file, and tried to run it using
the standalone Cbc. They got two different behaviour, depending on if
they imported the MPS file after they started Cbc, or if they supplied
the MPS file in the command line of running Cbc (in a cygwin window).

1) If they start Cbc, and then import the MPS file, and then solving it,
they get the "cbc.exe has stopped working" popup.

2) If they run cbc and supply the MPS file as part of the command line,
the problem runs to completion and is solved.

So does anyone have any idea why importing the file while in cbc should
make any difference?

Some more information: their MPS file is large, about 120M in size. I
think the crash happens when they are using about 1.5G of memory, so
running out of memory does not appear to be the issue.

The cbc they are running is cross-compiled using MinGW-w64 on a Linux
machine.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Cheers,

Kish