[Cbc] Message printing with CbcSolver

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Fri Mar 11 21:33:02 EST 2011

On 11/03/2011 22:31, Lou Hafer wrote:
> Kish,
>
> 	There's a logLevel command which will cause cbc to pump out additional
> information. This now works again --- trunk r1607 contains the (trivial) fix to
> CbcSolver.cpp. The relevant point is that COIN_HAS_CBC must be defined before
> the include of CbcOrClpParam.hpp. (Used to be automatic; no longer, due to
> changes in the build system.) It's three lines, easy to install in whatever
> version of the code you're using.
>
> 	See if this helps.
>
> 							Lou

Hi Lou,

No. that change does not seem to make any difference.

I have been using two versions of Cbc:

1) Stable/2.4  -- downloaded recently (one week ago or so) and
2) Trunk -- a version downloaded after r1607, and contain this change
already.

I added the change (#ifndef COIN_HAS_CBC etc.) to the stable/2.4 branch,
although I am not sure if it needs this, because I was using this branch
as I can still modify it in the old way to enable UFL AMD with the
barrier solver, which I think means it predates the changes to the build
system.

Anyway, I ran my test program again, and nothing seems to be printed
during the MIP solve -- I know that the message handler is not called at
all, as I have modified it to print something whenever it is called.
I increased the logLevel to 3, and still nothing is printed.

For the MIP solve, the only messages I get seem to be from before the
MIP solve, during preprocessing -- I get a message like

processed model has 290 rows, 1055 columns (1055 integer) and 2465 elements

and then nothing else.

When I run the MPS file for this problem using the interactive Cbc, I do
get a lot of messages.

So I am not sure what is happening here. Am I passing the message
handler to the wrong place? What happens when there isn't a message
handler? [If output is sent to stdout, I would expect to see them in my
setup]

Cheers,

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.