[Bonmin] Setting up Bonmin 1.8.7 with CPLEX 12.9

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue Jun 4 23:27:20 EDT 2019

Pierre, thanks for replying to this e-mail and reminding me about it.
Christoph, I can certainly also help with getting you building. Is there a
reason you really want to build in CYGWIN? These days, Msys2 and/or Windows
Subsystem for Linux are much better options. We have not really kept up the
CYGWIN support, since these better options exist and since it has some
"eccentricities."

If you really want to build with CYGWIN, then sending your config.log is a
good first step. Are you building with the Microsoft compilers or with gcc?
I suspect it may have something to do with specifying Windows paths rather
than POSIX paths.

Cheers,

Ted

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:18 PM Pierre Bonami <pierre.bonami at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dera Christoph,
>
> I don’t have a windows machine so I am really unsure how to do it.
> Can you please send your config.log and the output of make so that I can
> see what is the error.
>
> I have not done it in a long time but compiling from windows was always
> painful and very long. You might consider using a virtual machine in linux.
>
> Best regards,
> Pierre
> On 21 May 2019, 16:55 +0200, Neumann, Christoph (IOR) <
> christoph.neumann at kit.edu>, wrote:
>
> Dear experts,
>

> I am trying to set up Bonmin 1.8.7 with CPLEX as MILP-Solver under Windows
> 10 using Cygwin and could really use some help. The configure script runs
> through successfully but I get an error message when executing the build
> command:
>

> make[1]:Leaving directory „/cygdrive/c/Programme/Bonmin-1.8.7/build/Cbc“
>
> make: *** [Makefile:312: all-recursive] Error 1
>

> I had previously installed Bonmin (1.8.6) without CPLEX and it worked fine
> so I assume that the problem has to do with CPLEX even though the error
> occurs after leaving the Cbc folder.
>

> Below, I provide some details that seem relevant:
>
> I installed an academic version of CPLEX 12.9, obtained the required third
> party code for Bonmin as described in the instructions and used the command
>

> ./configure
> --with-cplex-lib="C:\Programme\IBM\ILOG\CPLEX_Studio129\cplex\lib\x64_windows_vs2017\stat_mdd\cplex1290.
>
> lib" \
>

> --with-cplex-incdir="C:\Programme\IBM\ILOG\CPLEX_Studio129\cplex\include\ilcplex"
>

> for the configuration. It exits with the message `Main configuration of
> Bonmin successful`, so at least it seems that this part worked. I was a bit
> confused when specifying the path to the CPLEX library, as I did not find a
> libcplex.a file. Instead, the CPLEX-documentation  states:
>

>   lib\<compiler>\<libformat>:
>
>                 Library files that contain CPLEX (cplex1290.lib) and
>
>                 CPLEX extensions to the C++ version of Concert Technology
> (ilocplex.lib).
>

> so I assumed that cplex1290.lib is the required file(?).
>

> For <compiler> I had the options: <x64_windows_vs2015,
> x64_windows_vs2017> and for <libformat>: <stat_mda, stat_mdd> and I tried
> out all four variations.
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>

> Kind regards
>
> Christoph

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu
coral.ie.lehigh.edu/~ted